[Nfb-krafters-korner] Canvassing New Sites for your review

AUDREY WELLNER rencraft at snet.net
Mon Mar 1 05:51:00 UTC 2010

Hi Fellow Crafters,
1.  Just to put my two cents in here.  One of the largest suppliers of Arts and Crafts kits for children with an emphasis on learning and developmental skills for teachers to use in a classroom environment is right here in CT. Their name is S & S Worldwide, you'll find the link below. Click in, find the search box on the left and type in "Weaving Looms" and you'll find items specifically designed to help children become involved with that type of craft.
   There are countless other areas to search on and their discounted items are spectacular.  They are geared for classroom capacity orders, but you can purchase single items. The price goes down on quantity, but the single price items are also exceptionally low.  I haven't been up there in a while, but I believe twice a year they offer massive Clearance Sales with prices lower than AC Moores or other discount places could beat. They also work on a tax-exempt system for non profit groups.
  Have fun - here's the site
http://www.ssww.com/search/?v=Weaving%20loom&ac_flag=0

2. I also have another site I think is worth looking into.  This one is for all the adult knitters.
http://www.knittersreview.com
    I came across this site from a TV show that airs here in the New York/Long Island area. Perhaps Eileen has run into it.  It comes on around 3pm for those who have satelite TV. Besides all the sewing, quilting (Fons and Porter) etc., people, this show was hosted by a Clara Parks who is popular in knitting circles.  Anyway, her site is a site that reviews hundreds of yarn types.  So you ask, "What's so wonderful about that?"  Well if you have a equisite feeling skein of yarn in your hands that cost approximately $25.00 or more and you're going to purchase 7 or more skeins, you're going to want to know how that yarn will work for you. (Especially if your husband is standing close by! HA)
    Clara gives the most precise description of the feel, color, workability, and outcome of many types of yarns she reviews, especially the expensive ones.  She even goes into detail concerning how the yarn washes and wears. She tests the yarn for how much pilling takes place after the garment is knitted and whether or not the yarn twists or skews out of shape while working it.
    I think this is a valuable reference site for those who need this type of information. I've often heard Joyce explain how well Brambleberry Soap describes the fragrances of their product. I think Clara Parks' site "Knitters Review" is a Brambleberry Soap site for yarn lovers.  Check it out.
   Submitted by,
   Audrey J. Wellner, Secretary Krafters Korner

PS  Just my opinion - I'm not sure Lion Brand gives tours of their Manhattan facility-should make sure they accommodate groups. I believe their spinning is done in New Jersey and just their headquarters is located in Manhattan.  I'm also not aware of any large yarn supplier mid-town Manhattan.  The shop we spoke about previously that holds the massive sales is located in one of the boroughs, but holds the sales in several locations around Long Island and outlying communities.