[Nfb-krafters-korner] SPINNING

Eileen Scrivani etscrivani at verizon.net
Mon May 17 21:52:58 UTC 2010

Joyce:

I've used a Navaho spindle, and Louis even made me a very nice one.  It does
produce thicker yarn than a dropped spindle.  I'm feeling a bit under the
weather today and don't know if I will make tonight's chat (if there is
one), but over the next couple of days, I'll get mine out and try
remembering how to start it off.  Once that is done it is not hard.  Again,
it is a matter of learning the technique and practice, practice, practice.

The Navaho must lean against the outside of the thigh and you need to sit to
use it.  You just keep moving the spindle from the nee rolling back to the
hip, gently lift up without stopping the sping and bring it back to the nee
to repeat the motion approximately 13-15 times.  When the spindle stops
rolling against your thigh the spin will go directly up into the roving,
twist the fibers together and create the yarn.

Eileen