[Nfb-krafters-korner] naalbinding anyone?

Rovig, Lorraine LRovig at nfb.org
Mon May 24 12:50:48 UTC 2010

Does anyone on this list do the old Viking art of Naalbinding, sometimes
spelled as nalbinding?  And sorry, no, I do not know how to do this well
enough to teach anyone. I am just learning it myself.  The Vikings and
other early Europeans used this technique for socks and other small
items.  Here is a small description of the art from a great Website for
those of us in love with history:

The history, origins, construction and use of 'needle-binding' with
specific reference to the 'Coppergate sock'.

Naalbinding is a textile technique where the material is produced in a
darning technique, with a coarse needle and length of plied yarn, and
where the thread of the new stitch is passed arbitrarily through at
least two unfinished thread loops of arbitrary size.
Several different forms of naalbinding are known, from very simple to
highly complicated and they are described by the course of the needle
and thread through the loops already [produced]. Up to 1024 variations
of one form of naalbinding are possible. The arbitrary way in which
naalbinding is produced means that the technique can be employed for
thick materials using small loops as well as for more loose materials.
Most of the preserved fragments seem to have had a finger used as a
gauge for the size of the loops.

Cordially,

Lorraine Rovig
Assistant to Mr. Anil Lewis, Chairperson
NFB Scholarship Committee