[Nfb-krafters-korner] Half way done!

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Sun Nov 7 13:41:15 UTC 2010

Dick,

You are doing just fine.  I would not worry about pushing him to use more
then his finger tip today.  Let him get used to this and at some other point
move to multiple fingers or even the entire hand if the project calls for
it.  Maybe making the home made dough holiday ornaments might be a great way
to get his entire hands into it.  Let him help make the dough so that he can
experience the ingredients changing from one state to another.

I think it was great that you were willing to drive back to your nephew's
house and get his cane.  I do not advocate that you get a second cane to
keep at your house.  This will be teaching him to rely on you instead of
becoming independent.  When you pick him up, just go down the checklist of
things that he needs to bring with him that day when he walks out the door.
Eventually you ask him to tell you what he needs to remember to bring with
him.  If you see that he does not have the cane in his hand, ask him if he
is forgetting something.  If he can't remember, give him a clue such as "it
is long", it is white", "it has a black handle", "it has a red tip", etc.
Don't be afraid to describe it by its colors.  There is a good chance that
his teachers and other children around him will describe it in that way.  By
the way, making him learn what color his things are (coat, hat, shoes,
boots, backpack, class binder, etc.) is very important for the same reasons.
Knowing what color clothes he is wearing is important.  Too often someone
will say "you in the blue shirt...".

Now as far as folding versus straight canes.  The cane is not only a way for
a person who is blind to navigate safely through their environment, but it
is also  for letting others know that those of us using the white cane will
not see them.  So if your cane is folded up in your backpack, purse or under
your chair while you are sitting in a restaurant, the waitress and food
servers have no idea that you can't see them waiting to take your order ,
filling up your water glass or putting your food down.  When a blind person
learns how to keep their cane standing up against them while they are
carrying on their activity, they have an identifier that hopefully others
will recognize.  Now there are times when it is just not possible to keep
that cane up and visible and it needs to be laid down or set aside.
Unfortunately, there are situations when it is just not possible to keep the
cane right where the user can touch it and find it themselves when they need
it.  Often sighted people think they are helpful and say "I'm just putting
it over here".  I'm sure you can figure out why this phrase is not helpful
to someone who can't see.  So, my personal preference is to use a folding
cane that I can leave unfolded when needed, and fold it up and keep it in my
possession when needed.  There is nothing wrong with a person who is blind
owning both a straight and a folding cane.  However with that said, it might
get a bit expensive keeping a growing boy in the appropriate sized canes.  I
no longer have a straight cane, but I do have 3 folding canes and a dog
guide.  It is all about having the right tools for the job.

I hope that I have given you some food for thought so that you can figure
out what is the best plan of action for your nephew.

Annette