[Nfb-krafters-korner] Mid-week question - color?

Susan Roe dogwoodfarm at verizon.net
Sun Nov 14 16:36:00 UTC 2010

Linda,

I lost my sight at 15 and I have been totally blind for 33 years.  Your
memories of colors will not fade over time, however, your vision/concept of
a color will be hard to match threw someone elses perception.
Trust me, there is even a difference in color preception between my sister
and husband.  My sister has painted for years and now deals with color
through shading and tones of wood stains and my husband paints a bit, color
pencil sketches and leans more to color tones in nature.  You know as well
as I do that you can take a simple color orange and have at least 50
variences of that one color.  We have quite a bit of banter between the
three of us when it comes to choosing the exact color point I want to have
in a project.

That is also why it is extremely important that if you are working on a
large project whith a lot of only one or two colors, that you check the dye
lot numbers on your yarn.  I was working on a rather large broom stick afgan
which was mostly a forest green with narrow pannels of a smoky gray.  well,
I had purchased 12 or more skeins of the green and had packed everything up
to go on a two week trip to Northern California with my husband to visit his
parents.  His mother, an avid knitter, was admiring several of the green
pannels that I had already finished, and noticed all of my green was not the
same shading.  I could have just died!  She fussed with Matt because she
believed he should have noticed the difference when we purchased the yarn,
but it really couldn't have been noticed when the skeins were all tumbled
together in a large stack.  The numbers told the truth, so she helped me
sort the two different shadings apart and I was able to then arrange the
pannels so they could be seperated from each other with the narrow gray
pannels.  All was not lost and I didn't have to rip every thing out.  My
husband to this day still tells me "sorry dear" whenever I start asking for
dye lot numbers.

Susan R.
dogwoodfarm at verizon.net