[Nfb-krafters-korner] Thanksgiving News

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 27 04:33:46 UTC 2010

Hi all -- You know, as far as using other senses, I think blindness can be a
blessing in some ways in that we can notice what happening with the other
senses.  From what I've observed, many people are so extremely visual in
their thinking that they can't do the simplest thing without looking at it
with their eyes.   It can rob a person of their enjoyment of their
surroundings, or their ability to navigate.
I speak in particular of my mother who is 86 and lives with me.  She is
battling macular degeneration right now and trying to stay brave about it.
She fortunately is getting the eye injections that reverse the degeneration,
and because of it she is still able to read and drive.  But the disease is
still progressing slowly.
She tells me if or when her vision goes completely, she could never stand to
use jaws.    (Well, some days I feel the same way, but that's another
email.*smile*)
Anyway, doing things like connecting a clasp or dialing the phone or any
little task that I have never used sight for, she has to run to get the
magnifier and do it strictly by sight.
In her favor, I do need sighted assistance at times and it is nice to be
able to call her.  But in other areas it amazes me what she needs sight for.

One consequence of all this is that our memories of the same event are very
different.  She will ask me now and then if I remember one incident or
another, and she will describe the whole event visually.    I will say "you
mean that's what happened?" and I will describe what I remember which is all
nonvisual.
Anyway, happy krafting.
--le