[Nfb-krafters-korner] Crocheting: chain stitch and hook motion

Susan Roe dogwoodfarm at verizon.net
Sun Sep 12 17:51:57 UTC 2010

Yes, there are several ways you can practise the hooking motion without the
added stress in worrying are you getting your piece done right.

First you need a base for your single crochetting stitches.  you can either
do this by taking a piece of thicker yarn and tieing it into a circle about
three inches across or doing the same thing with a piece of corde.  Now the
second way is to use a shoe string unlooped so that you can easily hold it
like you would a straight piece of crochetting.

Now, make a loop in your working thread and slip that loosely over your
hook.  always remember to keep loops or wraps loose on your hook or it will
be difficult to pull the hook through them.  Reach down and to the back of
either your circle or your straight shoe string and hook your working yarn
and pull it back to your original position.  You should now have two loops
on your hook.  Wrap the working yarn over your hook and now you have three
loops on your needle.  Your loops are now numbered from left to right, 1, 2,
and 3.  To pull loop 1 through loops 2 and 3, you need to remember to keep
your hook pointed down with the loose working thread in the back.  This will
keep loop 1 from slipping off the hook as you slide it through loops 2 and
3, one loop at a time.Sometimes it helps not to pullloop 1 through 2 and 3
all at once because if you are holding the yarn too tight orif loops 2 and 3
are too tight on your hook, it is harder to slip the hook through them.

If you have chain stiches down pretty good, then you have a since of how it
feels to pull a loop through a single loop.You just need to feel the ease of
pulling the hook through two loops to make a single crochet.  Using the loop
or the loose shoe string gives you a base to hold your stitches and you
don't have to worry about placing your hook in a stitch below, only to find
you did the single crochet stitch perfect, but realize you have put that
stitch in the wrong hole.  Then when you have filled the circle/shoe string
with stitches, just pullthem out and do it again.  When you feel comfortable
with that, try a double crochet as follows.

Place loop on hook for first loop, bring yarn over hook for second loop, go
down and under to pick up yarn and bring hook back to original position for
third loop, and then wrap yarn once again over your hook for forth loop.
You now have four loops on your hook, numbered from left to right, 1, 2, 3,
and 4.

Pull loop 1 through loops 2 and 3, and wrap yarn around hook.  You now have
three loops on the hook and they are numbered 1, 2, and 3.

Pull loop 1 through loops 2 and3 to make a double crochet.  You have only
one loop remaining on your hook, ready for another double crochet stitch.

I hope this helps.  If you need more, please let me know.

Susan R.
dogwoodfarm at verizon.net