[Nfb-krafters-korner] blind child with residual vision in a sewing class

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Sun Sep 12 22:56:39 UTC 2010

Ed:

I have no light perception and I truly love my sewing, quilting,  sewing
clothes for my Grand daughters besides knitting, crocheting, weaving  candle
making and whatever else hits my fancy in the crafting world.

I use nothing fancy, but I have a plastic credit card masking taped to the
bed of my sewing machine which is measured from my sewing machine needle
1/4  inch.  I use quarter inch seam allowance on almost everything.  So if
you want 5/8seam allowance securely tape something like a plastic credit card
to  the bed of the machine.  By positioning the credit card approximately  2
inches forward from the foot of the machine, but 5/8 inch to the right it
will  extend back from the foot far enough.  I butt the fabric up against
the plastic edge and this is my guide.I can keep my right hand and  feel the
edges of the fabric moving guiding with the left fingers in front and  the
right in back of the foot.I can feel the pins approaching the foot and stop
them to remove them.  I use quilting pins to pin my seams together.   They
  are long with the large plastic heads.   They are easier to feel and pull
out before going under the needle of the  machine.

Do you know that we have a blind teacher in Wisconsin that teaches home ec
in the public school?  Her students are sighted.  She is a member of  NFB
and I would suggest you get in touch with her and have her get in contact
with this teacher.

I need to look up her name.  If you are interested please email me and  I
will give you her contact information.

Joyce  Kane
www.KraftersKorner.org  (http://www.krafterskorner.org/)