[Nfb-krafters-korner] Massive knot in yarn

Susan Roe dogwoodfarm at verizon.net
Sat Sep 18 17:00:42 UTC 2010

Hi Angelina,

Crochetting is one of my favorite yarn crafts.  Dealing with knots or
inperfections in yarn is all a part of fiber crafting or as my husband puts
it, fiber obsession.  I deal with a lot of the pound skeins too, but I
prefer pulling from the center of the skein rather than a ball because the
ball is so large.  I do not like pulling from the outside of a skein because
you have to shift the skein around too much as you work.  I have found very
few yarns that I can't work knots out of and always work at them a bit
before I throw up my hands and pull out the snippers.  I try to always add
yarn on the ends of a piece because it is easier to blend in the ends, but I
have worked on granny square baby or lap throws that are just one giant
square and the yarn changes are throughout the piece.  I allow a good 3
inches for the knot to be tied loosly, continue crochetting for at least 2
inches and then I weave in the ends.  I do this by untieing half of the
loose granny knot, slightly snugging the remaining half of the knot and then
either weaving the ends along the stitches on either side of your half knot
with a crochet hook or a yarn needle.  If I'm joining two different colors,
then the color on the right gets a small knot tied on the end of the yarn
and the new yarn end does not.  Then when it comes time to weave in those
ends, the smooth strand goes to the left and the one knotted strand goes to
the right after snipping off the knot.

Susan R.
dogwoodfarm at verizon.net