[Nfb-krafters-korner] gauge question

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Fri Apr 15 00:47:58 UTC 2011

I have never heard of casting on and doing it your way.  The reason  for
casting on more stitches and doing more rows and then measuring it is
stockinette  stitch tens to roll so by working with more stitches you will  get a
more accurate stitch and row count with your knitting relaxed Take a pin,
bobby pin or safety pin and run it down your rows in a line then measure
whatever your gauge is 1 inche or 4 inches and run another pin or that down at
the 1 or 4 inche row.  Now if you don't think you can do it borrow
someone's eyes to count how many stitches and how many rows you have in that
measured area.  I actually take a smaller knitting needle and feel rows and  count
them by using the tip of the needle and slide slowly down row by row and
count.  You can do the same thing by feeling stitch by stitch.  Using  a
needle smaller you can feel it better to count.

Hope this helps.

In a message dated 4/14/2011 4:57:42 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,