[Nfb-krafters-korner] Thoughts On Hooking Rugs: Was Re: VI/Blind and crafting

Pam Drake pamdrake at drakelroy.com
Wed Jan 12 03:53:52 UTC 2011

Hello, All!

I have just joined this list.  I thought the following information
might be of help to those interested in latch hooking.

It has been several years now but I have done, and truly enjoyed rug
hooking.  I have an old copy of "Row Upon Row", which, as Lauren
says, was done by Marie Porter at the Catholic Guild For The Blind in
Chicago.  The name was later shortened to Guild For The Blind.

I Googled and visited the site and found no reference to any Braille
publications.  I also read that they will be moving in February of this year.

Below is the contact information including current and new street
addresses.  The phone will remain the same.  You might want to
contact them to see whether or not their Braille and craft books are
still available for purchase through them.  If not, it sounds as
though the book mentioned below may well be the same one.

As for buying and sorting yarns, it has been a while.  I bought
individual packages of pre-cut yarn in my desired colors.  I put
small Braille labels with the name of each color and put them inside
zippered food storage bags.  I went to a yarn shop rather than a
large chain store, and asked the clerks to hand me the
various       packets which I then put into the bags with appropriate
Brailled color name slips.  Perhaps not the most efficient method for
today's faster-paced commerce, but it worked well at the time and
might still be a good idea if buying at a small shop with Staff
willing to take the time to identify the colors.

I made several projects but was put off by a disappointing incident
which probably shouldn't have bothered me, but was frustrating enough
to do so.

The last time I bought yarn for a particular pattern the clerks
offered to give me a piece of canvas, though I was perfectly willing
to pay.  The canvas was limp; and I was too inexperienced to realize
that, being so limp, the canvas did not stand up well to my less than
smooth strokes of the hook.  The holes became misshapen.  AS I worked
it became harder and harder to locate the individual squares, and
attempts to properly align the stitches resulted in snags that caused
larger and larger holes.  It got so bad I grew tired of fighting; and
ended up setting the work aside, never to touch again.

I have moved a couple of times since then and the last time I looked
for my poor rug I could not find it.  I have thought of ripping out
the stitches and starting over but have yet to do so.

I would advise anyone wishing to do latch hook projects not to make
the mistake I made.  Make sure the canvas you use is stiff enough to
hold your hook as you draw it through the holes.

As for me, perhaps through the list I will be inspired to find the
pattern again and start over.

The Guild For The Blind can be contacted at:

Guild for the Blind
180 North Michigan Avenue, Suite 1700
Chicago, IL 60601
tel:  312 236 8569
fax: 312 236 8128

Their physical address will change to:
65 E. Wacker Place, Suite 1010.
Chicago, IL 60601

I hope this info will be of help to someone.

Pam Drake