[Nfb-krafters-korner] Thoughts On Hooking Rugs: Was Re: VI/Blind and crafting

Pam Drake pamdrake at drakelroy.com
Wed Jan 12 12:36:05 UTC 2011

I have had very little opportunity to do crafts, and so haven't done many.

One thing I truly enjoyed when I lived in New York was hand-building
ceramics.  I took a course at the Lighthouse For The Blind, where I
made a cat, a dog, a duck, and a few other things.  I also made a
macrame hanging of a dog which took some effort but turned well in
the end.  I made the animals based on my own perceptions, and the dog
and cat turned out especially well.   Someone actually offered to buy
the cat but I didn't wish to sell it.  I still have these items.

As I wrote Joyce in a private e-mail, I have had little luck learning
knitting or crocheting largely because I was never in a position  to
have a teacher who could help show me stitches and give feedback.  I
am one who sometimes experiences a steep learning curve when learning
a task.  Once I know it I don't forget but it takes a lot of
demonstration and repetition.  My difficulty with straightness has
also been an obstacle.  If anyone has any ideas on how to manage that
I'd appreciate it.

Pam