[Nfb-krafters-korner] Many thanks, Donna

linda the_ninn at tx.rr.com
Fri Jan 21 03:54:01 UTC 2011

	Susan,

You are correct.  The kitchner stitch is like the 3-needle bind-off, except
you do not knit the stitches off.  The way we did the cloth, we left the
final row on the needle and went back and picked up the cast on row on
another needle.  So, holding the two needles together with the live
stitches, what Donna had us do was put the first stitch from the back needle
onto the front needle and then knit two together.  Once you have completed
the first two stitches (they are on your right needle) you lift the first
stitch over the second stitch and drop it off just like in a normal
bind-off.     Continue until you have all the stitches bound off.

My problem, was that the cast on stitches were very tight.  It was hard to
get another needle in there to knit the two stitches together.  However, the
kitchner worked much easier as I only had to work with a large eyed blunt
needle.  Have you done kitchner before?

The other thing I liked about the kitchner over the 3-needle method is that
the kitchner lays flat - it is grafted.  The 3-needle leaves a ridge just
like you had put the fabric together and sewed it on a machine or slipp
stitched a seam one knit stitch in from the edge.

Either way, the  cloth is a beautiful pattern.  I plan to do more of them.
I am still going to be working on my 3-needle bind-off because it is and
important technique in the knitting of garments.  There are video tutorials
on You-Tube that might help you.

I hope this helps.

Blessings,
Ninn