[Nfb-krafters-korner] Basket Weaving

Susan Roe dogwoodfarm at verizon.net
Sat Jan 22 20:01:53 UTC 2011

Hi Eleni,

Sorry if the subject lines through you off.  It is sometimes difficult to
remember to change the subject line when you are answering other's post.
I'll try harder from now on.

Basket weaving of almost any kind is not impossible for the blind to learn.
Some tecniques are easier than others, of course, but styles and materials
are endless once you master a few different basic tecniques.

Coil baskets are the easiest for a beginner because you learn how to shape
the materials you are using with your hands as you slowly build your basket.
It has been mentioned that in the two basket classes I taught for Krafters
Korner, that no two baskets were alike.  I can almost garuntee that none of
them were.  Materials were different to a degree and even everyone's mental
picture of their basket is different as they shape and turn their basket in
their hands.

Standard reed baskets and coil baskets are not done the same way; however,
you can use reeds in coil basketry.

I have never used a kit to do either kind of basket weaving.  I was taught
in highschool after I lost my sight over 30 years ago.  I was mainstreamed
in school and never went to a school specifically geared for the blind.  I
had summer adjustment training, now called transitional training when I was
18 and was taught several other crafting methods.

I have another basket weaveing sight that I'll send to you that is in
Kentucky, I think, and you can take a look at what they have.  I have baught
my reeds in a local shop, but I can't tell you the gauge because I go by
feel.

If you have any questions, contact me off line and I'll give you my home
number.  That goes for anyone else who is interested.  I'll answer whatever
I can on list, but sometimes it is just easier on the phone.

Susan
dogwoodfarm at verizon.net