[Nfb-krafters-korner] coiled baskets and trivets

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Sat Jan 22 21:14:03 UTC 2011

Dixie,

Perkins and Sons is in North Haven, CT.  They are moving this month to  a
place on State Street in North Haven.  They had this huge warehouse full  of
basketry materials and caning supplies.  They also have classes on
basketry.  They do a large business online too.  I have been up there  and I
understand the new place will be larger with more class room area.   Check the
website out.  I bought a kit more then 10 years back for a foot  stool to be
caned.  I brought it up to where I am learning how to cane the  chairs and I
will be working on my foot stool, too.  So if I get the hang  of this maybe we
could have a class and do a foot stool.  I think the  wooden foot stool
kits are something like $35.  That included the  unfinished foot stool made out
of a nice solid wood, the 2 types of reed that  you need, anall [ice pick
type tool to help with the holes in thestool and a set  of pegs.  As you
weave the cane you hold the reed in place with the  pegs.  You wet the reed
while you are weaving it, but you use the pegs to  hold everything tight until
it dries.

I want to purchase a rush foot stool, too.  So I can learn how to do  rush.
 The foot stools for the cane has something like 13 holes top and  bottom
and 12 holessides.  Which makes the foot stool 40 holes in  all.  The place I
am working just raised their price as of the first of the  year from $1.20
per hole to $1.45 per hole.  Places around here I have  heard are getting
over $2 per hole.

It defintely is time consuming and I haven't finished the chair seat I am
working on yet after 5 weeks.

In a message dated 1/22/2011 10:48:45 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,