[Nfb-krafters-korner] Pine needle weaving

Eleni Vamvakari magkisa83 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 18:06:56 UTC 2011

I just found what appears to be an excellent source for pine needle basketry.

http://www.primpines.com

Quoting from the page: "The Prim Pines Company is a premier source for
all of your pine needle basketry supplies. This nature craft is not
weaving, but coiling, using long-leaf pine needles, black walnut
slices, agate slices, basketry threads and sinew to make baskets and
other crafts.

This is a small family business and we strive to make quality products
and offer personal service to all of our customers. ... We make most
of our products, from gathering and bundling of pine needles to
slicing walnuts. We also make the gauges, wooden bases, lid knobs,
artwood, and agate centers, bone cards of threads and sinews."

They also taught classes in the past, though this is no longer the
case.  But they do offer kits, books, including one which is
downloadable and free articles and instructions.  The latter are very
good for beginners and covers some really basic things like which
types of needles to use.

The only drawback here is that you can't order directly online.  You
either have to print and fill out an order form or e-mail them with
your order.  Still, the more I'm reading this site, the more I'm
loving it.  I'll find and post others if you'd like but think this one
is a winner in the pine basketry category.

Enjoy,
Eleni