[Nfb-krafters-korner] Chair Caning

Eleni Vamvakari magkisa83 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 19:59:42 UTC 2011

I figured it was time that I update all of you on my crafting as a
career adventure.  Yesterday, I found an absolutely huge list of
stores which cater exclusively to chair caning as well as some general
furniture stores which offer it as a service. Some even mention basket
weaving!

http://www.lookooh.com/C/Caning+Furniture.html

There are several stores in New Jersey and alot more in New York. So
it seems that, if I learn this trade, I can work in an established
setting, thereby avoiding the hassle of starting my own business.
While I may do this in the future, I'd rather learn the basics and
work for a master before venturing out on my own, at least for these
advanced crafts. I could always make the soaps, candles, and baskets,
if my job doesn't sell those, on the side and sell them through
Pathways to Independence.

http://www.pathwaystoindependencenj.org

The one problem, of course, is finding classes. While I could easily
sell my own work in certain crafts as a student/beginner, I highly
doubt that a business will hire me for something as delicate, advanced
and costly as caning without formal training. The only place that I
could find in NJ which offers this is Peter Valley Crafts Center.

http://www.petersvalley.org/index.htm

Currently, they do not have any caning classes listed, but they do
have basket weaving. I'm hoping that I may be able to take a one on
one class in the former, but their classes, in general, are far too
expensive for me to pay for on my own, so I'm assuming that these will
cost even more. I'm sure that I need to contact my counselor on this,
but am keeping my fingers crossed that the Commission can help me.
Since we're already considering supported employment, we might be able
to work something out. Best of all, the place with which I'm hoping to
connect for said employment is Pathways, the same one that will be
taking my other craft work!  But I need to contact my new counselor
about all of this, as I've only spoken with Sally, who heads the job
club etc. and she doesn't have the power to okay things that my
counselor does. In the meantime, I'm really hoping that these basketry
classes work so that I can scratch them off the extremely costly list
and get started with at least practising.  In any case, it looks like
the long journey is finally baring fruit.

Talk soon,
Eleni