[Nfb-krafters-korner] Need Sewing Machine Recommendations

Eleni Vamvakari magkisa83 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 19:51:42 UTC 2011

Hi guys,

I can't help but notice that alot of you are into sewing.  I know
absolutely nothing about the art but would like to learn.  My
grandmother has a sewing machine, probably from the 70's or 80's, but
it's an electric model.  I want to work with a completely mechanical
one.  I adore old technology and have a special love for all things
mechanical, so figured I could buy a new/old toy and learn a new skill
at the same time.  But I need some suggestions.  Can anyone recommend
a simple, durable machine for a beginner?  I would prefer something
relatively compact and not the type in the cabinet, but I'll
investigate those if they're worth it.  The machine could be brand new
or totally vintage.  So long as it's accessible to the blind and
affordable (under $100 or $150 at the most) I'm willing to try it.  I
know that there are many sewing machine collectors, but my main
purpose is to learn, not necessarily to get something of value.  But
if it turns out to be worth something, that would be great.

Grandma said that she's willing to teach me.  So if we start and I
only have her's to work on, would that cause me a problem later on
when I go to a nonelectric machine?  Would it be better for me to
learn by hand first?  Also, I've seen many things about patterns on
this list and I've always wondered one thing.  How can they be
accessible to someone who is totally blind?  That is, do they really
explain the pattern?  Is it necessary to have had sight in order to
start sewing on your own or could I do it without a teacher?  Keep in
mind that I've never seen so don't understand colours etc.

Speaking of sewing, I'd like to pass on an adorable video that I just
saw today.  You don't need to see it for it to make you smile.  Talk
about starting them off young!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGzadRSOHbE

Thanks,
Eleni