[Nfb-krafters-korner] Cobolt color identifier

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 31 02:49:18 UTC 2011

Hello --
I don't have that product, but I do have a Color Test, which cost a
ridiculous price that was considerable more than that and the Color Test
frequently gives strange results like that as well.  For example, I have
blue pants that it insists are either gray or aubergene (purple).  In fact,
it tends to read in the purple direction in a lot of situations.  It
confuses brown and purple.  It doesn't get shades of red, pink and orange
right.  The only way I know what I have is that I can see the lighter
colors -- the dark colors are what I have trouble with.  I do have better
accuracy when I fold over the fabric so there are 2 layers, and then push
the fabric a little bit into the opening so there is no ambient light
getting into the picture.  This solves most cases, but still I don't think
any colorizer is going to give you perfect accuracy.
The best you can do is get one that gives a good ballpark reading and hope
your clothes match.
Sorry for the news.  It is still better than nothing.
--le