[Nfb-krafters-korner] sorting colors

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 31 14:33:27 UTC 2011

You know, I've always been picky about colors that I like together and those
I think clash, and my taste doesn't always match (excuse the double meaning)
that of other people, especially artists.  In art, I understand the artist
tries to add balance to a picture as a whole by putting together colors that
don't match, or that contrast sharply. I like contrast, but some things I
think go beyond contrasting into downright clashing with the other color.
For example, I personally think red and turquoise are nauseating together,
but indeed, many people use and love that combination, at least in some
settings.  But now that my vision seems to have been diminishing, the subtle
differences in color that I used to be able to see, are invisible, and I
have to go by memory or by someone else's opinion when selecting colors.
Alas. I can't mourn my vision as there is no end to thrashing over it if
it's not coming back, but color is like music -- something I feel a bit
deprived of now that it is disappearing.
But such it goes.
If I had never seen, there would be no way I can think of for someone to
describe what and why some colors go together and others not.  It's strictly
an emotional impression.  Also, if a person is painting a picture, then the
clashing colors might be used to convey an overall effect that I myself
missed because I was only able to see a little window of the picture at a
time.  If I ever get my vision restored to where it was when I was a baby, I
think seeing a "big picture" would be a new experience.

HTH.  Happy krafting.
--le