[Nfb-krafters-korner] Hand building with clay

River Woman riverwoman at zoominternet.net
Sun Jul 3 11:47:20 UTC 2011

Hi Georgia,
It is so nice to talk to you.
Yes, the art center has everything you can need. I do carry a little tool
box with me, kind of like a fishing box, small and made of plastic.  I keep
my own things there, and I use the center's supplies and tools, too. They
have the glazes there also. but, I do buy some of my own glazes - wow, are
they expensive. I had NO idea how costly they are. You buy a package in
whatever weight you want from the Standard Ceramic Supply Company - I just
bought 3 different glazes, 5 # each. It was around $90.  And 5 pounds does
not make a lot of glaze - you add only water to it and then you can use it.
I have low fire glazes - four of them. And, I have mid-fire glazes -
probably about 6 of them.  Plus, I use the glazes at the center.

I don't use a lot of different colors as I like to limit my work to a color
palette that is MINE - predictable and in sinc with my own vision of what my
work should look like. I would say I probably only use about 10 colors in
all plus transparent glazes. My color range is earthy.

It would be nice if your husband would be in a show there if he has the
opportunity. I do know what you mean, about getting your stuff there. It is
a big effort.

the kilns these days are low energy users - and they are all automatic. You
could easily use one, once someone went through it with you. they are all
set by just pushing a button, like using a microwave oven. And, they do not
use a lot of electricity as the old ones did, because they are made now to
be efficient.  I do not have a kiln. I could get one, and looked into it
last year, but decided I wanted to keep it as it is - my day away to play
with clay.  Then, I work in my studio here at home doing slab or coil
pieces. All you need is a table - My husband made a table and it is the size
of a piece of paneling so that he could put a panel made of kitchen counter
material on top - it cleans up really well and is nice to work on. He also
made a table like that for our shipping room for our eBay business and that
is a room in our basement where he does all the packing and shipping, and it
is a holding room for things as we post them, and get them ready to be
shipped. My studio is a large area, the second floor of a large barn garage
on our property.

I decided if I had a kiln, then I would feel like I have to be making
pottery, instead, I now feel like it is a treat and that I do not HAVE to
work it like a JOB.

Lynda River Woman