[Nfb-krafters-korner] Seniors and craft project

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Sun Jul 17 14:19:21 UTC 2011

I came up with another idea.  My daughter's Girl Scout troop made no-sew
pillows.  They was very simple.

Cut 2 circles out of fleece.  The size is up to you, but I think theirs was
12-15 inches.

Lay the circles on top of one another with the right sides facing out if
there is such a side.  I place a safety pin in the middle to hold the
2-layers of material together while doing the next few steps.

Holding the 2-layers of material together, cut slits along the edge of the
circle.  The slits will need to be 3-5 inches in length starting from the
edge of the circle heading to the center.  The inner end of the slits do not
meet.  The slits will need to be 3/4 inches to 1.5 inches apart.  You want
the strips of material that result from the cuts to be equal in width all
the way around the circumference of the circle.  These strips will make a
fringe around the outer edge of the pillow.  Personally, I prefer the strips
of material to be  thinner rather than thicker.

Using the 2-layers of each strip, tie a knot with the 2 strips as close to
the spot in the material where the cuts stop.  These knots will keep the
stuffing in the pillow.

Continue tying knots until you have only 3-4 sets of strips left to tie.
You want to have enough of an opening to get your hand inside the pillow.

Remove the pin.

Fill the pillow with fiberfill.

Continue tying up the remaining sets of strips.

With some creativity, you can decorate the outsides of the pillows and make
smiley faces.  A pillow made of bright yellow material with a smiley face
makes a great sun.

You could cut the fleece into other shapes beside the circle, but you will
have to deal with the strips at the corners to ensure that stuffing cannot
escape.

I'm not sure how well these pillow would sell, but they might be a great
starter project to build interest and confidence.

Annette