[Nfb-krafters-korner] Summer crafting

Zimmer, Cindy cindy.zimmer at nebraska.gov
Mon Jul 25 15:02:21 UTC 2011

You guys are so funny.  No, actually the tie was much easier.  You take long pieces of duct tape and put them together to make a piece of "fabric" (double width of duct tape and duct tape back to back so you do not have any sticky tape exposed).  My client used regular cheaper silver duct tape for this.  Then you take an old tie and cut out the pattern.  We used the hard plastic cover from a Braille Book as our template of the tie.  This way, my client could cut around the pattern and feel where he needed to cut.  Once you have the tie shape, he then decorated the tie with the colored tape.  As I said earlier, he started at the small end of the tie and alternated the red and white duct tape.  He did this until he got toward the wider part of the tie where he started using navy blue.  I helped him with the white stars.  From last year's project that a client did, I know the stars are hard to cut out.  We tried using a template and a paper punch star cutter, but had trouble with both.  If anyone has any ideas, please pass them my way.

Cindy Z.