[Nfb-krafters-korner] Adaptive Sewing Tips

Lindy van der Merwe stephlin at iafrica.com
Mon Jun 6 10:55:24 UTC 2011

Hi Karen, thanks a bunch for this link. I have a Singer Futura 350 sewing
machine. It is also an embroidery machine, but I have not used this function
of the machine much.
Here are my thoughts - I know of some people who like to use a sewing
machine with very basic functions, minimizing the need for problems with
settings. Also, it may be easier for others to help you learn the machine,
help if something goes wrong, and the upkeep of such a machine may also be
less.
My Singer has many different decorative stitches, but I only use a few of
them regularly. It has some limited audio feedback, but enough so I know
when I have set the sliders to the correct place for a certain stitch.
As you mention, I think that one of the most important things when buying a
machine is that you should be able to thread it with ease. The Elna machine
I got from my mum was not easy to thread. It had small hooks and places
where the thread had to pass through. My Singer is a breeze to thread,
though. After someone showed me hands-on I practiced for a few days and I
can now do the threading with no problem in seconds. One other thing is that
today's machines come equipped with what is called an automatic needle
threader. It is a small plastic device that is attached to the needle of the
machine. You have to position the thread in a certain way and pull down on a
little lever. Then, you let go of both the lever and the thread
simultaneously and this will pull the thread through the eye of the needle.
I read that this would be difficult to use, but that it could be removed
from the machine if I wanted to do this. My sister-in-law who is also blind
tried it though, and she was able to use it fairly well. It did take some
practice, but I am glad to say that I can now use the automatic needle
threader of my Singer with no problem. You can also still leave it on the
machine and use other hand-held threaders if you prefer. One can find
various types of small needle threaders that will help you put the thread
through the needle of a sewing machine. I have one that is easy to use. You
stretch the thread across the point of this little gadget, which looks like
a pen, almost. You then put it against the shaft of your machine's needle
and slide it downwards while holding the thread stable. When you reach the
eye of the needle the thread is pushed through. You then just have to grab
it at the back and pull it through.
You can of course mark your machine in various ways if necessary to help
make it more accessible, but I have not found this necessary for my machine.
For instance, I use the foot of my machine as a guide to be able to stitch
in a straight line.
I am sure others may also have more on this subject.
HTH and please ask if there is more you'd like to know.
Lindy