[Nfb-krafters-korner] hand building with terra cotta clay

Georgia Kitchen gakitchen at gfn.org
Thu Jun 30 17:13:50 UTC 2011

Hi Diane,
Thanks for writing. I am a beginner. Do you find a Braille ruler helpful and
what other adaptive aids do you use? What kind of items do you build. I have
made a dish that looks like  a leaf and mainly after that have built with
coils. I am finding that perhaps I should  use smaller coils so that my
fingers can smoother the coils into one flat surface easily.  I haven't done
any slab work yet but I have some ideas. I would really like to try  free
handing a tree on a slab. They let me bring my work home so I have to get a
little workspace together. I live in Michigan and had partial sight for many
years. I have been totally blind since  1997.

I had trouble tracing around things and cutting them out especially. I now
use a pare knife that is quite sharp.

I haven't glazed yet but I will probably dip my items to start with.

Do you like your studio? We have a big art institute here so our  studio is
quite large. We are lucky to have such a nice Art Institute.

I am not going to convention but hopefully we can meet sometime.

Best,
Georgia
Michigan