[Nfb-krafters-korner] hand building with terra cotta clay

River Woman riverwoman at zoominternet.net
Thu Jun 30 17:15:12 UTC 2011

I use three kinds of clay usually.
Low Fire Terracotta, 104
and white, 105
Mid-fire buff color, 553
All clays can be used for hand building, hand throwing, or wheel throwing.
The big difference is in the firing temperatures. The low fire will not have
the strength that mid-fire, or high-fire will have and the low fire is NOT
FOOD SAFE, that is the BIG difference.  You can put food into it for
serveing, but you cannot cook in it nor keep food in it for storage.
All take a firing from clay to bisque. The low fire does not need an
additional firing and you can finish it with Johnstons Mop and Glow, paint,
or stains.
The mid-and high-fire clays can be blazed and fired another time, or two
more times depending on the finish you are after. Most of my mid-fire
vessels are fired three times due to the deep surfaces I want in my work -
and all my work is glazed by compressor and spray gun.

I do fire my low fire things twice usually but not always.

Hoep that helps a little.

Lynda River Woman
I use Standard Ceramics Clays