[Nfb-krafters-korner] hand building with terra cotta clay

Powers, Terry (NIH/OD/DEAS) [E] Terry.Powers at nih.gov
Thu Jun 30 17:46:49 UTC 2011

Can you clay users describe how you know what an item looks like before you make it out of clay.  It kind of puzzles me.  If you want to make a leaf, do you go out and pick one and copy it?  If you can not see it on the tree, how can you design it.  How can you carve it out of clay.  Even with plastic camvis, I some times have trouble with shapes.  Transfering a rounded item into a square patern is not easy and still make it look round.
Even though my sight is not as good as it was when I was a kid, I have designed a Christmas tree, because I know it is wide at the bottom and pointed at the top, to me, like a triangle and the branches go in and out.  With some planning and that consept, I created my own.  How do you create your shapes in clay.  With camvis, stitches can be taken out or you can make a sample, before the final, with all the background.

Terry Powers