[Nfb-krafters-korner] hand building with terra cotta clay

River Woman riverwoman at zoominternet.net
Thu Jun 30 23:22:12 UTC 2011

Hi Terry, What a great question.  Yes, I pick leaves, twigs, rocks, etc. and
take them to the studio to use as models for my work.  I also take the clay
outside and make impressions on rocks, stones, railroad ties, and anything
else I want to get the textures of. I bring in large pieces of bark that
falls off the trees in storms, and use that bark for textures on my clay.
My work in non-traiditonal pottery - I do not do any production work at all.
It is sculpture that I do - and no pieces are alike. I show my work in
galleries, juried exhibitions and museum shows so my venures are in the fine
arts, not crafts.   My work is conceptual so I am not at all interested in
making shapes that look like animals, but might use parts of things in the
work.

OH, I forgot to mention, about making clay things that are hand built or
hand thrown - the clay needs to have a lot more grog in it than clay that is
wheel thrown. The extra grog makes the cay more sturdy - when working on the
wheel you would not use that clay because it would be too rough on the
hands.

Lynda River Woman