[Nfb-krafters-korner] Kitchener stitch help

Dixie blueherons at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 6 21:58:47 UTC 2011

Ok, so I have 3 short row round dish cloths done up to the sewing.  I didn't
like the way the first one came out with the 3 needle technique, so I want
to try it with the Kitchener stitch.

I have been looking for directions and they seem to all describe doing the
Kitchener on a piece done in Stockinet.  But,

On the following source:

Source:  http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer04/FEATtheresasum04.html
There is a description for doing the Kitchener stitch on a piece done in
garter stitch.
It reads:
a brief word about grafting garter stitch:
In order to create an invisible join on garter stitch, you'll have to be
sure that the last row of stitches on the front piece have purl bumps snug
up against the needle and the last row of stitches on the back piece have
knit stitches up against the needle. For the preparatory steps, insert the
needle into the first stitch on the front needle as if to purl and then into
the first stitch on the back needle as if to purl again. Then, instead of
working steps 1-4, simply repeat steps 1 and 2 with first the front needle
and then the back needle. The chant in this case will be "knit, purl --knit,
purl".

Now my question?

I don't understand what is meant by
the front piece have purl bumps snug up against the needle and the last row
of stitches on the back piece have knit stitches up against the needle.

I have two needles, do I want the pearl bumps facing each other, so they are
in between the two needles, or do I want the pearl bumps facing away from
each other so they are on the outsides of the needles when the 2 needles are
lined up together?

 Dixie