[Nfb-krafters-korner] {Disarmed} FW: A new issue of Sockupied is here!

Becky Frankeberger b.butterfly at comcast.net
Wed Mar 23 14:32:23 UTC 2011

For the sock knitters out there, this sure looks super interesting.

There is a link to view this newsletter on the web, which is easier for me to read.  That takes you to some amazing information.

Becky and Jake

 <http://e1.interweave.com/snrdn?sna=fb&id=EEE2F30DE2FA47A1490539C454E129907401AD31A09990E8> Facebook  <http://eimages.interweave.com/style-guide/spacer5x16.gif>  <http://e1.interweave.com/snrdn?sna=tw&id=EEE2F30DE2FA47A1490539C454E129907401AD31A09990E8> Twitter  <http://eimages.interweave.com/style-guide/spacer5x16.gif>  <http://e1.interweave.com/snrdn?sna=ln&id=EEE2F30DE2FA47A1490539C454E129907401AD31A09990E8> Linked In  <http://eimages.interweave.com/style-guide/spacer5x16.gif>  <http://e1.interweave.com/snrdn?sna=msp&id=EEE2F30DE2FA47A1490539C454E129907401AD31A09990E8> My Space  <http://eimages.interweave.com/style-guide/spacer5x16.gif>  <http://e1.interweave.com/snrdn?sna=dg&id=EEE2F30DE2FA47A1490539C454E129907401AD31A09990E8> Digg

 <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2452422&l=55023&ctl=34B6578:EEE2F30DE2FA47A1490539C454E129907401AD31A09990E8&> Visit Simply Socks Yarn Company for great deals and fast shipping!
Visit Simply Socks Yarn Company for great deals and fast shipping!

 . <http://eimages.interweave.com/general/spacers/1x1.gif> March 23, 2011 . <http://eimages.interweave.com/general/spacers/1x1.gif>

 <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2452422&l=55023&ctl=34B6579:EEE2F30DE2FA47A1490539C454E129907401AD31A09990E8&> KnittingDaily.com

A new issue of Sockupied is here!

 Spacer 10x10 pixels <http://eimages.interweave.com/general/spacers/10x10.gif>

  <http://www.knittingdaily.com/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer.Blogs.Components.WeblogFiles/daily/8304.socks.jpg>

Wyeast Socks by Chrissy Gardiner, from the new issue of Sockupied. These socks take their name from the Multnomah word for Oregon’s Mount Hood, home of a historic lodge and ski area. The cable patterns, which are reminiscent of ski tracks, were selected by Chrissy’s husband to ensure they appeal to guys as well as gals.

 Spacer 10x10 pixels <http://eimages.interweave.com/general/spacers/10x10.gif>

I'm so excited! I just got an email with a link to the new issue of the eMag  <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2452422&l=55023&ctl=34B657A:EEE2F30DE2FA47A1490539C454E129907401AD31A09990E8&> Sockupied, and it is AMAZING. Really. (If "awesome" weren't so overused I'd call it awesome!)

One of the focuses of this issue is how to work with heels; to flap or not—how to decide? While world events might not turn on this decision, it really is an important one for us sock knitters.

There are several heel choices; my favorite is the short-row heel, which looks a lot like the heels you see on commercial socks.

The cons to this type of heel verses the traditional flap heel is that it's a little less durable—heel flaps are often thicker because the slip-stitch construction, and if you have a high inseam you might need a little more give, which a heel flap provides.

Almost exclusively, I wear Dansko clogs, Crocs, or flip-flops, so durability isn't really a factor for me, and I have a low instep, so short-row heels are my go-to heel.

Sock designer Chrissy Gardiner has so much info to share about heel construction, it's really interesting reading. And because it's a Sockupied eMag, there are all sorts of visuals, too, including an incredible calculator tool.

Here's an excerpt from Chrissy's fascinating article from Sockupied.

Sock Conversions: Getting Your Head Around Your Heels

I started out as a traditional top-down, Dutch heel sort of gal and have evolved into a toe-up, crazy-hybrid-flap-heel knitter as I've learned new techniques.

I design nearly all of the socks that I knit, which makes it easy for me to use my favorite constructions (although I do like to mix it up to keep things interesting), but not everyone designs his or her own socks.

Switching a short-row heel for a flap heel, changing the direction of the heel (from toe-up to top down and vice versa), or even changing both at the same time can be daunting prospects, but it's really quite simple once you have a few techniques under your belt.

 Spacer 10x10 pixels <http://eimages.interweave.com/general/spacers/10x10.gif>

 Sample of the Short-Row
Heel Calculator

 Heel calculator from Sockupied <http://eimages.interweave.com/knittingdaily/mail-by-date/2011/Kathleen/calc1a.jpg>
 Heel calculator from Sockupied <http://eimages.interweave.com/knittingdaily/mail-by-date/2011/Kathleen/calc2a.jpg>

 Spacer 25x25 pixels <http://eimages.interweave.com/general/spacers/25x25.gif>

To work a short-row heel in place of a flap heel, divide the heel stitches (usually—but not always—half the stitches for the cuff) into thirds and work a short-row heel according to your favorite directions. (Or use Chrissy's Sockupied Calculator, sample at right, to tell you how to work the short-row heel!)

When you're finished working the first half of the short-row heel, you'll have about one-third of the heel stitches wrapped on either side of the remaining one-third of the stitches unwrapped in the center of the heel.

Make sure you ignore any gusset increase/decrease instructions when substituting a short-row heel.

The heel is worked over the original number of heel/sole/back-of-leg stitches without any net gain or loss of stitches.

Reversing Direction
The short-row heel is perfectly symmetrical and is worked exactly the same in either direction—no changes required! If want to do a top-down short-row sock pattern toe-up instead, the heel is the easiest part!

—Chrissy Gardiner

The Heel Calculators

Chrissy provides three heel calculators—one for short-row, one for toe-up flaps, and top-down flaps.

As you can see from the snapshot at right, the heel calculator gives you step-by-step directions for working the heel by using your gauge and number of stitches cast on. You don't have to do any math because Chrissy does it for you!

Being math-challenged myself, I can't tell you how amazing these calculators are.

If you're anything like me, you have a bunch of sock yarn in your stash (and if you don't, run to your LYS or check out simplysocks.com!), so take out your sock yarn and get sockupied!

Download your  <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2452422&l=55023&ctl=34B657A:EEE2F30DE2FA47A1490539C454E129907401AD31A09990E8&> Sockupied eMag today!

Cheers,

  <http://www.knittingdaily.com/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer.Blogs.Components.WeblogFiles/daily/3443.kc_2D00_signature.gif>

  <http://eimages.interweave.com/general/spacers/20x20.gif>

 Kathleen Cubley <http://eimages.interweave.com/editors/ed-kathleen-cubley.jpg>
Kathleen Cubley
is the editor of
Knitting Daily.

 <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2452422&l=55023&ctl=34B657B:EEE2F30DE2FA47A1490539C454E129907401AD31A09990E8&> Suede Slippers side ad

 <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2452422&l=55023&ctl=34B657C:EEE2F30DE2FA47A1490539C454E129907401AD31A09990E8&> Furled Leaf Sock side ad

More Knitting Daily

 <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2452422&l=55023&ctl=34B657D:EEE2F30DE2FA47A1490539C454E129907401AD31A09990E8&> Blogs

 <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2452422&l=55023&ctl=34B657E:EEE2F30DE2FA47A1490539C454E129907401AD31A09990E8&> Galleries

 <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2452422&l=55023&ctl=34B657F:EEE2F30DE2FA47A1490539C454E129907401AD31A09990E8&> Knitting Daily TV

 <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2452422&l=55023&ctl=34B6580:EEE2F30DE2FA47A1490539C454E129907401AD31A09990E8&> Free Patterns

 <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2452422&l=55023&ctl=34B6581:EEE2F30DE2FA47A1490539C454E129907401AD31A09990E8&> Join Knitting Daily

 <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2452422&l=55023&ctl=34B6582:EEE2F30DE2FA47A1490539C454E129907401AD31A09990E8&> Share Your Comments

Sockupied is Back, Bigger and Better!

Continue the revolutionary journey through sock knitting with even more fancy footwork
in the NEW Sockupied Spring 2011 eMag, Now Available for Immediate Download!
 Spacer 10x10 pixels <http://eimages.interweave.com/general/spacers/10x10.gif>

 <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2452422&l=55023&ctl=34B657A:EEE2F30DE2FA47A1490539C454E129907401AD31A09990E8&>

 <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2452422&l=55023&ctl=34B6583:EEE2F30DE2FA47A1490539C454E129907401AD31A09990E8&> Watch a preview of Sockupied Spring 2011!

 . <http://eimages.interweave.com/general/spacers/15x15.gif>

Downloadable to your PC or MAC computer, this Sockupied eMag includes features similar to a magazine off the newsstand, but you flip through the eMag using a click of a button. Plus, you can watch videos, zoom in on stitch details, hear designer interviews, click off to websites to purchase yarn and needles, and much more. With all these interactive qualities, it's the next generation of sock knitting!

PC Users:
Click here to learn more <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2452422&l=55023&ctl=34B657A:EEE2F30DE2FA47A1490539C454E129907401AD31A09990E8&> .

 Spacer 10x10 pixels <http://eimages.interweave.com/general/spacers/10x10.gif>  Spacer 10x10 pixels <http://eimages.interweave.com/general/spacers/10x10.gif>

MAC Users:
Click here to learn more <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2452422&l=55023&ctl=34B6584:EEE2F30DE2FA47A1490539C454E129907401AD31A09990E8&> .

The second edition of Sockupied includes even more videos, tips, techniques, designer profiles, and patterns!

If you loved the first edition of Sockupied, this eMag has even more to love. With all new content, the Spring 2011 issue of Sockupied features:

*	5 Sock Patterns for Happy Feet! Enjoy top-down and toe-up designs from well-known sock designers.
*	2 In-Depth Tutorials! Increase your sock-knitting skills with technique articles for customizing heels and binding off for toe-up designs.
*	3 Calculators! Chrissy Gardiner makes changing your heel a snap with three calculators that do the math for you.
*	13 Videos! See sock knitting at its best, firsthand. You'll enjoy techniques videos and fun and fascinating videos for inspiration.

PLUS! Sockupied Spring 2011 also includes your favorite features, such as yarn reviews, needle ideas, and "Feet on the Street"—a clever look at knitters' projects old and new.

  Spacer 15x15 pixels <http://eimages.interweave.com/general/spacers/15x15.gif>  Spacer 15x15 pixels <http://eimages.interweave.com/general/spacers/15x15.gif>

 <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2452422&l=55023&ctl=34B657A:EEE2F30DE2FA47A1490539C454E129907401AD31A09990E8&> sockupied interior 2
See Stephanie Van Der Linden's
global inspirations

 <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2452422&l=55023&ctl=34B657A:EEE2F30DE2FA47A1490539C454E129907401AD31A09990E8&> sockupied interior 1
Change up your heels with
knitting calculators

 <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2452422&l=55023&ctl=34B657A:EEE2F30DE2FA47A1490539C454E129907401AD31A09990E8&> sockupied interior 4
Practice the Kitchener bind-off method

The all new Spring 2011 Sockupied eMag comes to life on your computer with one easy download, and can be visited again and again. Print out patterns, zoom in on technique details, master sock knitting like never before!

The second edition of Sockupied is now available for immediate download!
Download your copy today and get started on your pursuit of sock knitting, 24/7!

PC users:

 Spacer 15x15 pixels <http://eimages.interweave.com/general/spacers/15x15.gif>  Spacer 15x15 pixels <http://eimages.interweave.com/general/spacers/15x15.gif>  Spacer 15x15 pixels <http://eimages.interweave.com/general/spacers/15x15.gif>

MAC users:

 <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2452422&l=55023&ctl=34B657A:EEE2F30DE2FA47A1490539C454E129907401AD31A09990E8&> Download Now! - Red - Large

 <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2452422&l=55023&ctl=34B6584:EEE2F30DE2FA47A1490539C454E129907401AD31A09990E8&> Download Now! - Red - Large

 <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2452422&l=55023&ctl=34B6585:EEE2F30DE2FA47A1490539C454E129907401AD31A09990E8&> Find us on Facebook

 . <http://eimages.interweave.com/general/spacers/30x30.gif>

 <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2452422&l=55023&ctl=34B6586:EEE2F30DE2FA47A1490539C454E129907401AD31A09990E8&> Follow us on Twitter

 . <http://eimages.interweave.com/general/spacers/20x20.gif>

 <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2452422&l=55023&ctl=34B6587:EEE2F30DE2FA47A1490539C454E129907401AD31A09990E8&> See us on YouTube

This email was sent to: b.butterfly at comcast.net

Privacy Policy <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2452422&l=55023&ctl=34B6588:EEE2F30DE2FA47A1490539C454E129907401AD31A09990E8&>  . <http://eimages.interweave.com/style-guide/spacer5x30.gif> Unsubscribe <http://www.interweave.com/email-center/default.aspx?e=b.butterfly@comcast.net&id=EEE2F30DE2FA47A1490539C454E129907401AD31A09990E8>  . <http://eimages.interweave.com/style-guide/spacer5x30.gif> Manage your email preferences <http://www.interweave.com/email-center/default.aspx?e=b.butterfly@comcast.net&id=EEE2F30DE2FA47A1490539C454E129907401AD31A09990E8>

Interweave, 201 E. 4th St., Loveland, CO 80537
©2011 Interweave Press, LLC. All rights reserved.

 <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2452422&l=55023&ctl=34B6589:EEE2F30DE2FA47A1490539C454E129907401AD31A09990E8&> Interweave

  <http://e1.interweave.com/t?c=2452422&r=1893&l=55023&t=10&e=EEE2F30DE2FA47A1490539C454E129907401AD31A09990E8>