[Nfb-krafters-korner] The new agreement?

Eileen Scrivani etscrivani at verizon.net
Sun May 1 00:50:42 UTC 2011

Dear List Members:

As many of you are aware, I have remained silent on the list serve,
anticipating the published wording of the "agreement" between instructors &
NFB.  I am greatly disappointed in the content of the statement, and the
exclusion of any protection allowed to those individuals who have given
freely of time and knowledge in the teaching of their art or craft as well
as those students who participated in recorded classes.

Those who dialed into the January conference call meeting between the KKD
board & individuals who had taught classes for the division may recall that
during that discussion it appeared we all (board & instructors) came to a
mutually acceptable agreement.  .  The wording as it appears in the proposal
does not resemble in the slightest the outcome of that conference meeting
nor written statements in the days that followed.  My opinion of the Krafter
Korner's board, & their parent organization of The NFB have plummeted to a
level I never thought possible.

While Mrs. Kane did in fact start the KKD and while every organization
requires "good" leadership, no leader leads alone.  It takes cooperation,
support & help on many levels from many people to make a "good" organization
work well.  And, leaders that lead well listen to what their constituents
say.  Personally, I also find a leader capable of being truthful in their
statements someone to be admired.  I have no admiration for the leadership
of this particular division.

I am both a knitter and teacher, who gave freely of time and knowledge to
help the division's membership, as well as it's president who I thought was
interested in helping blind people rise up to meet their crafting dreams, be
it as learning a craft as a hobby or helping a blind person to raise a craft
to the level of a professional business or art.  This division as it now has
become crystal clear has been only about the NFB's self-promotion.  At the
same time it appears   to lack respect for the rights of the individual
crafts person and their ideas be it in the form of actually crafting or
teaching a craft.

The president's words makes us think that the wording in the agreement was
forced upon her by the legal department of the NFB.  Nonsense!  I've dealt
with legal agreements in the past and when two parties seeking legal
assistance both want and need sides represented, it is the duty of any good
attorney to write a statement/document that represents the concerns of both
sides.  What now is written represents only the interests of the KKD and
excludes rights of instructors and student participants.  For Mrs. Kane to
make the statement, " ... The  teachers can check this out with their
lawyers. ..." shows callous indifference to all that occurred on this list
back in January of this year.  After all, how many of us have the funds to
retain legal advice?  Remember a person or their work cannot earn respect
without first being able to respect others & the work of others.

I too, as one other voice will not be participating as member or instructor
in this division.  Perhaps, another division member had it write in saying
that those of us who wish to stay in contact and uphold & protect the rights
of all can do it outside of the NFB.
I hope to stay in touch with the friends I've made on this list.  It has
been my pleasure working with the students in my classes & also the
instructors that have shared their knowledge with me.

Eileen Scrivani
Email:  ETSCRIVANI at VERIZON.NET