[Nfb-krafters-korner] Tip of the Week - Keeping track of stitches

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Fri May 27 03:22:15 UTC 2011

This is an excellent question.  I must tell all of you this.   After I went
blind and decided to pick up my knitting needles once again and  give it a
try, I tried or did it the same way as when I could see.  Man,  that did not
work.  I knitted by day and ripped it out in the middle of the  night.
Days and nights were all turned around for me at that time,  too.  After
ripping out the sweater I decided to try knitting for myself 22  times, I learned
that I had to be much more organized and I found that stitch  markers every
10 stitches was what help me to relearn knitting blind.

Now that I have been blind for almost 14 years and do a lot of knitting, I
have not given up my stitch markers.  As some of you know I recommend a
nice large bag of rubber bands for stitch markers and I use them on all
projects.  When doing something in the round I like to put those rubber  bands
every 20 or no more then 24 stitches.  It is not hard to mentally  count 20
stitches.  I would suggest if you are doing a pattern to stick  them in there
or even half way between a repeated pattern.

I have not done a lot of crocheting since I went blind.  I do like to
crochet, but I tend not to seek out crochet patterns.  I will say that the
traditional metal crochet hooks are not the easiest or most comfortable for me
to use.  I have found that they have some that have padding and kind of a
flat handle to hold and they are much better for my hands to hold onto.

In a message dated 5/26/2011 9:59:14 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,