[Nfb-krafters-korner] Tip of the Week - Keeping track of stitches

slerythema slerythema at gmail.com
Fri May 27 03:53:28 UTC 2011

I use a number of different methods for keeping track of stitches depending
on the pattern. My basic rule is that I use one of my fancy markers to
indicate the beginning of the row. This is consistent across all of projects
(fancy stitch markers are more expensive and usually come in a small number,
however, they are very unique and never confused with the other markers).
The second basic rule that I use is to place a marker every 10 or 20
stitches depending on how big the project. Twenty stitches are used when it
is a project that has more than 100 stitches on the needle with no other
reason for breaking down the numbers (i.e. the afghan I am working on used
this method for the beginning border).

Now, if I am working on something with a pattern that has repeats that are
not too large, than I will use the markers at each repeat (ex. For my afghan
I have: 7 border, 11 small repeat, 32 large repeat, 11, 32, 11, 32, 11, 32,
11, 7 border). When I do ribbing, I will use a combination of two types of
markers to divide the ribbing and I will use this method down to a 2 x 2
ribbing. If it is smaller than that, I will only mark at the beginning of
the repeat (i.e. 1 x 1, 2 x 1, 3 x 1).

This is somewhat related so I'll include it also. Whenever a pattern calls
for picking up a certain number of stitches, I will use locking stitch
markers to pick up the stitches before using my needle. This has saved me
many times by allowing me to feel the area and distance between the stitches
I am going to pick up to make sure that they appear evenly separated.

Cindy S.