[Nfb-krafters-korner] Russian join

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Tue Nov 1 19:48:03 UTC 2011

Yep, yep that is what I was trying to explain.  Now I know what to  call
it.  Russian join!  Many thanks,

In a message dated 11/1/2011 3:37:00 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
blind_quilter at msn.com writes:

Sure,  Joyce.

To do the Russian join, you thread a tapestry needle with the  tail of your
yarn and pull a couple inches through the needle. Now go  about three
inches
from the needle up the thread toward the skein or your  project. Place the
tip of the needle into the center of the strand of yarn  and go up through
it
about three inches, trying to keep the needle in the  center of the strand.
This will form a loop at the end of the yarn. Pull  the tail through the
yarn
strand, but make sure you have a loop at the  end. Now take the tail of the
yarn you want to join and place it on the  needle. Take the needle through
the loop formed on the first piece of yarn  and then do the same process of
going up three inches from the needle and  running the needle through the
center of the new yarn for about three  inches. Pull the yarn tail through
and remove the needle. Now take the two  tails and pull them until the
loops
where you have joined the yarns  closes. This allows you to join two pieces
of yarn without creating a knot  and it holds as well as a knot does.

Yes, you are splitting the yarn  where you run the needle through it, but
pulling the tail through  reinforces it so there is no fear of breakage.

I hope this makes sense!  I have been doing it for a while and it is second
nature to me. If anyone  has any questions, please feel free to ask.

Tanya
Louisville,  KY
Blind_quilter at msn.com

Nfb-krafters-korner  mailing  list