[Nfb-krafters-korner] Russian join

Tanya Wheatley blind_quilter at msn.com
Tue Nov 1 19:35:05 UTC 2011

Sure, Joyce.

To do the Russian join, you thread a tapestry needle with the tail of your
yarn and pull a couple inches through the needle. Now go about three inches
from the needle up the thread toward the skein or your project. Place the
tip of the needle into the center of the strand of yarn and go up through it
about three inches, trying to keep the needle in the center of the strand.
This will form a loop at the end of the yarn. Pull the tail through the yarn
strand, but make sure you have a loop at the end. Now take the tail of the
yarn you want to join and place it on the needle. Take the needle through
the loop formed on the first piece of yarn and then do the same process of
going up three inches from the needle and running the needle through the
center of the new yarn for about three inches. Pull the yarn tail through
and remove the needle. Now take the two tails and pull them until the loops
where you have joined the yarns closes. This allows you to join two pieces
of yarn without creating a knot and it holds as well as a knot does.

Yes, you are splitting the yarn where you run the needle through it, but
pulling the tail through reinforces it so there is no fear of breakage.

I hope this makes sense! I have been doing it for a while and it is second
nature to me. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.

Tanya
Louisville, KY
Blind_quilter at msn.com