[Nfb-krafters-korner] felting

River Woman riverwoman at zoominternet.net
Fri Nov 4 20:57:55 UTC 2011

No, it must be 100 percent wool or it will not felt properly. Wool has
microscopic fibers that hook together - that is why wool is so waterproof.
You know, clogs are made of wool and they are very waterproof and folks wear
them all winter long with wool socks. (I do)   You can mingle in some other
strands of yarns that are not wool, but you won't get a really tight felting
by doing that.  It will just be a decorative accent in the felt, but it will
not be srong if you use much of it as it breaks down the wool and prevents
the figers from hooking together.  I also boil my wool things to felt them.
You can do this on your stove in a big kettle - bring it to a boil and let
it boil until it is the size you want. This, of course is called "boiled
wool." It is a type of felting,and it is very very STRONG fabric. Boiled
wool jacets are very expensive to buy. They are so warm it is amazing, very
light weight, and very dense and warm. I have a couple and wear them on the
coldest days of the year, and they are very light weight.

Lynda River Woman