[Nfb-krafters-korner] Introducing myself

artist imanartist at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 5 16:44:29 UTC 2011

  Hi Jewel, I don't know if I can help you with the selvage but will try.  I
have only a visual memory of my weaving and am weaving strictly by feel.  I
cannot remember the names of the loom parts but will try to describe them.

I learned to weave from a woman who was legally blind when I had sight.  She
taught me to feel rather than look at the project.  She said that you
controlled the selvage by the way you laid in the weft.   When passing the
shuttle through the shed (i think that is what you call the space through
you pass the shuttle, you first snug the fiber at the selvage so there is no
loop.  Then, you place the weft in a sot of arc in the shed so that when you
the part that holds the reeds to set the weft, there is no tension on the
fiber.   What I do, as I cannot see the warp is run my shuttle through,
then, in the middle of my weave, push the weft yarn up to leave slack in it
and then,, bring the end down snug with the selvage on the side the shuttle
exits.  Then set the weft.   My selvage stays straight and even.   The thing
I am having a problem with is the tension of the warp.  I can't seem to get
all the strands at an even tension so end up having to put weights on some
of them to avoid skipping threads.  JoAn