[Nfb-krafters-korner] Knitting - How to Establish Correct Gage When You Have No Vision

Therese Gardner what-sharky at att.net
Sun Nov 6 14:19:58 UTC 2011

Hello All:

As I mentioned in my introductory message, I have been knitting for many
many years. I have pretty much stuck to afghans and blankets.

Once I made a sweater and while it did look like a sweater the proportions
were just off. Yep, can't get that gage down.

Now I am finding myself wanting to advance more into garments. I am a
sweater collector for myself and find I sure do spend loads of money on
sweaters. I also understand that I need to insure that my gage is correct.
Could get away with it while making afghans and blankets but definitely not
for garments.

I would like to figure out a way to determine my gage without sighted
assistance. I know it can be done but how?

Background

I am totally blind.

I can read a knitting pattern pretty well.

I am a braille reader.

Look forward to your suggestions.

And thanks for guidance in advance.

Therese