[Nfb-krafters-korner] Knitting - How to Establish Correct Gage When You H...

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Sun Nov 6 20:46:32 UTC 2011

Knitting gauge.

First most gauges are something like 16 stitches equal 4 inches and so many
 rows equal 4 inchs.

So you need to be able to knit a swatch that will measure more then 4
inches square.

If you were going to use what I have above as an example 16 stitches equal
4 inches  You will want to cast on hmmm maybe a minimum of 22 stitches.
then knit a piece that measures hmmm 5 inches.

Now I like to use a safety pin and put a pin into the knitting on the left
in the holes of at least 2 rows.  measure the 4 inches and put another
safety pin in going up and down into 2 rows.  Take a knitting needle  [smaller
then you are knitting with] and count with the point of the needle how  many
stitches you have in that 4 inche measurement going side to side.  Use
this same method to pin top to bottom and count your rows.  You do not want
the knitted area that you are measuring to be stretched, just relaxed.

In a message dated 11/6/2011 9:20:48 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,