[Nfb-krafters-korner] Knitting - How to Establish Correct Gage When You H...

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Sun Nov 6 20:47:18 UTC 2011

Oh yes,  I have totally no light perception so I do this strickly by  touch.

In a message dated 11/6/2011 9:20:48 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
what-sharky at att.net writes:

Hello  All:

As I mentioned in my introductory message, I have been  knitting for many
many years. I have pretty much stuck to afghans and  blankets.

Once I made a sweater and while it did look like a  sweater the proportions
were just off. Yep, can't get that gage  down.

Now I am finding myself wanting to advance more into  garments. I am a
sweater collector for myself and find I sure do spend  loads of money on
sweaters. I also understand that I need to insure that my  gage is correct.
Could get away with it while making afghans and blankets  but definitely not
for garments.

I would like to figure out  a way to determine my gage without sighted
assistance. I know it can be  done but how?

Background

I am totally blind.

I  can read a knitting pattern pretty well.

I am a braille  reader.

Look forward to your suggestions.

And  thanks for guidance in  advance.

Therese