[Nfb-krafters-korner] Monitoring someone with low vision

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Sat Nov 12 13:18:10 UTC 2011

Hi Barb and All,

It always amazes me how different our experiences with RP is while being the
same.  Yes, the toothpaste is one of those turning points.  I resorted to
squeezing the paste on my finger until I could come to terms with squirting
it right into my mouth.

For some people, learning to do their favorite craft or hobby without
looking is what helps them to make that transition in other parts of their
life.  For others, they have to tackle that hurdle in some other part of
their life before they can do it with their crafting.  Go ahead and offer
suggestions on how to do things through touch and if they are not ready to
try that, let it go.  When they are ready they will recall your words and be
ready to give it a try.

Don't bombard them with alternative ways to do things.  Listen to their
questions and provide answers to those specific questions.  If they are
asking, then that is what they are ready to tackle.  Sometimes you might
need to give a little push, but be ready to back off if needed.

Annette