[Nfb-krafters-korner] Monitoring someone with low vision

River Woman riverwoman at zoominternet.net
Sat Nov 12 13:19:47 UTC 2011

Dinise,
I think I am very fortunate because my sight loss happened suddenly and with
no forewarning. I have Ischemic Optic Neuropathy. It happens instantly - one
minute you can see, the next, you are plunged into a perpetual fog.

I immediately had to figure out how to do things - like how to trim my
toenails when I cannot see the clipper or the toes. And, yes, the tooth
paste - a squirt into the mouth does it just fine. After 5 months of sight
loss, I got into a rehab program at Homestead, PA and it taught me how to
live my life with no holds barred. At times I did not like my situation at
all, and frankly, there are still moments when I am "pissed off" about it.
But those are just moments and I never let them take over.  There are lots
of times when I am very aware of my blindness and those times can be
frustrating.

My advice to everyone, get HELP right away. Don't think that you are not yet
ready for help, or that you don't want to go down that road yet. You are
already on that road, and the sooner you learn how to adapt to sight loss
the better it is for you and everyone around you. And, finally, nobody who
has not had sight loss has a CLUE about how it feels even if they are a
rehab teacher. If you are not living this life 24/7 you have no idea what it
"feels" like - don't even bother to debate that point. The sooner you get
over the pity party, the sooner you can be on to your LIFE. It is a GREAT
LIFE, with or without sight and that is the bottom line for me.

I would realy urge anyone who is beginning sight loss to get involved in
whatever rehab program is available to them and to fully emprace it and
learn about adaptations from people who have made those adaptations
themselves. They will be so much more independent and confident once they
do.

Lynda River Woman