[Nfb-krafters-korner] Pottery Photos

River Woman riverwoman at zoominternet.net
Tue Nov 15 14:39:51 UTC 2011

I thought I would let you know that on Friday night, my husband, daughter, and an artist friend attended the opening reception of the 101st Annual Exhibition of the Associated Artists of Pittsburgh. It was a thrilling night at the Society for Contemporary Crafts in Pittsburgh, PA. The crowd was very large and festive.

I was there because I am one of the artists whose work was chosen for this show. One of my large pottery vessels was featured in the show. I am enclosing a photo of it for those of you who can use ZoomText or other enlarging technology to have a look. Others, maybe a friend can describe it to you.

The piece that is pictured is one of the ones I described in our Clay Chat a week ago. It is made by using the COIL method of hand building.  The vessel is made of mid-fired clay, and the glazes and underglazes were mid-fired after the pot had been bisque fired.

The pot itself is a brilliant Acapulco BLUE color, and over that are layers of fall leaves in brilliant fall colors - DOGWOOD LEAVES - The Dogwood Tree leaves are on branches together in groups, just as they are on the tree.

My idea here was to imagine you are standing beneath the tree viewing the sky - and in between, the leaves are there between you and the sky. I wanted to create a magical effect and to address the idea of "viewing" in this work.

I will attach the photo for you to this email. Since we had talked about this method of working with clay, and I had described it to you, I thought you would be interested in seeing the finished piece as it is shown in a major exhibtiion.  I include one with humans near it so you can see the scale of it, too.

WFMJ, a TV station in Youngstown, Ohio,  filmed me working on this series of vessels in my studio and did a feature on how a person who is blind can make pottery.

In a few minutes I am going out to the studio this morning. I have made 35 pounds of clay into slabs - I will be starting  my Magic Spirit Treasure Boxes today.

Lynda River Woman

Lynda Lambert
104 River Road
Ellwood City, PA 16117