[Nfb-krafters-korner] {Disarmed} dehydrating listmightbeinteresting to some

Henrietta Brewer gary.brewer at comcast.net
Fri Sep 2 00:39:13 UTC 2011

Hi Joyce,
A dehydrator has a low heat. Veggies and fruits dry at about a hundred and fifteen degrees. Herbs dry at a lower heat and meats at a higher heat.  An oven usually only goes down to a hundred and seventy so is rather hot for dehydrating and keeping the vitamins in the food.

Some dehydrators are as cheep as thirty to fifty dollars. The important thing is that it has a fan to blow the heat around evenly.

You can grate the veggies like I did the zucchini today or slice them. If you are making a powder you do that after the food is dry.  I powder small batches and pour them through a strainer and put the large chunks back in the blender.

I like to cut corn off the cob and dehydrate that. If you have great sweet corn in the fall you can have it all year long.  I often cut up celery and dehydrate it to put in soups and such. If I want to use it in a salad I will pour boiling water over the dried celery and it will soon be back to the celery I bought.  There is a lot of things you can do with dehydrating foods. Things you would never dream of doing. People on the list are amazing with their knowledge.
Henrietta