[Nfb-krafters-korner] pressure and things

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Sun Sep 25 18:28:47 UTC 2011

Joyce,

I am assuming that you are using the braille labeler from ILA or someplace
like that.  I have one of these at work, so I'm doing this from memory.  One
or two clicks to the left of the letter A should be something that feels
very different than the braille that marks the rest of the locations on the
wheel.  This is the spot on the wheel that does the cutting of the label
when you are done creating your label.  To me this mark feels like a raised
letter O.  Every time you are finished making a label, you should end up in
this spot.  See if this helps you get oriented each time you want to start a
new label.

Yes, you do have to squeeze with all of your might to make dots that are
easy to feel if you have limited sensitivity in your fingertips.

Now to open the thing.  First let's get orientated.  Let's call the wheel
the front of the labeler.  The top of the labeler is when the braille on the
wheel is facing the ceiling.  The back of the labeler is the end opposite
the wheel at the other end of the thing you squeeze.  Place your finger on
the edge of the wheel where it meets the top side of the thing you squeeze.
Slide your finger along this top side of the labeler to get to the back edge
of it.  Just as you start to slide your finger down the back side of the
labeler, you should feel a seem or indentation.  Use your finger to pull up
so that you get the top edge of the labeler to open.  It will be hinged at
the wheel edge.

Once open, you might find an empty cartridge from the previous roll of label
tape.  Some rolls do not come on a holder, so there would not be anything in
the compartment if that is what you used before.  Remove the empty cartridge
and throw it away.

To place the new roll of tape in the labeler.  If the new roll of tape is in
a cartridge, you will be putting the entire unit inside the compartment, if
not, you will be dropping the rolled up tape in.  Once you drop the tape
into the compartment, it should be oriented so that the beginning edge of
the roll is coming up from the roll along the back side of the labeler, over
the top of the roll of tape, and laying on the flat surface between the roll
of tape and the hinge of the compartment door.  Gently slide the tape so
that the beginning edge disappears into the labeler and comes out the wheel.
If too much comes out, just pull it back into the compartment.  Once it is
positioned correctly, close the compartment door until you hear it snap
shut.  You are now ready to start making more labels.

Keep in mind that you do not need to buy the label tape from specialty
resources like ILA.  You can buy it from your local Office supply store like
Staples or Office Depot.  You might have trouble finding clear tape, but
depending on what you are making the labels for, color might not matter.

Let me know if you do not understand any of this.  You could give me a call
if you want.  If I do not answer, leave me your number and I will call you
back.

Annette