[Nfb-krafters-korner] BANA Open Forum meeting at NFB JI on Nov. 3, 6 PM

Rovig, Lorraine LRovig at nfb.org
Thu Sep 29 14:33:57 UTC 2011

Dear Krafters,

I plan to attend this open forum of the Braille Authority of North America (BANA) and have already sent my email to Judy Dixon to request a seat and to tell her I read regular print. If you want to attend, the announcement says: "To reserve your space at the Open Forum and to help ensure accurate counts for handouts, contact Judy Dixon at 202-707-0722 or jdix at loc.gov<mailto:jdix at loc.gov>."

I live in a community just outside of Baltimore and I work at the NFB Jernigan Institute (which is the new name for NFB HQ here in Baltimore instead of National Center for the Blind). So if anyone needs directions for car, train, or bus, I will be glad to help you find the place.  If you do a MapQuest or Google map, our address is: National Federation of the Blind, 200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230.

I expect I'll hear some interesting requests and comments concerning Braille usage along with pleas to just have a lot more Braille everything.  Some of those who come may not be aware that the work of NFB members is their best bet for increasing the usage of Braille; BANA's job is to decide what Braille looks like.

Since I don't use Braille, but only know the basics on how it is structured and write grade 1 with a Braille card for (rare) notes to Braille-reading colleagues, I do not plan to ask to attend their board meetings on the weekend.  The details the BANA experts will fling at each other will no doubt be mind-boggling to non-experts.

For more information on BANA and on their meeting, go to their website at:
<http://www.brailleauthority.org/>

Your Viking-wire-weaving krafter friend,
Lorraine Rovig
Baltimore