[Nfb-krafters-korner] a thought...

jill jillbilly4 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 27 22:21:10 UTC 2012

Very well said!
Jill

-----Original Message-----
From: nfb-krafters-korner-bounces at nfbnet.org
[mailto:nfb-krafters-korner-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Cathy
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2012 4:49 PM
To: 'List for blind crafters and artists'
Subject: Re: [Nfb-krafters-korner] a thought...

Hi Jill and the rest of you,

Joyce shared about losing her sight and how it happened abruptly with no
warning at all. that takes one kind of adjustment. But losing one's sight
gradually over years takes another kind of adjustment. I can relate to this
second type of situation myself. Like Terry, I never have been able to
distinguish facial features, but I was able to see colors well, though
everything looked liked colored blobs to me. my sight slowly worsened till
just after my daughter's birth, when I became aware that I was no longer
able to identify the colors of her little clothes. I was told that she had
light blonde hair and her eyes were described to me as a silvery blue color,
but I could not see these colors myself. I pictured them in my mind,
remembering the hues. Acceptance of my loss of color perception and later
all of my light perception took time for me. for months I would stare at
baby clothes opening my eyes as far as possible, trying vainly to see the
colors so I could match her clothes. I felt inadequate as a mother because I
could not dress my girl in matching clothing. I felt sad that I began to
forget what colors things were around me. slowly I tried to look at the
clothing less and less. Slowly I began to allow my daughter to pick out her
own clothes, whatever colors they were. She enjoyed the task and I finally
came to believe that it was ok as long as she was happy with her outfit. I
went through a similar process of acceptance when I lost my light
perception.

Nowadays I accept  that I will forget what colors clothes or yarn or
whatever is soon after I purchase or receive it. so, I wear basic colors,
and sort and label my yarn, beads and other crafts as soon as I get them so
I will know what colors they are.

Back to my daughter for a moment, I never have seen her, but so many people
have told me that she is a beautiful girl. I have a picture of her in my
mind. I don't have any idea if my picture is a reflection of what she
actually looks like or not. but I have come to the conclusion that it does
not matter. She is beautiful in my mind's eye and that is the important
thing.

Cathy