[Nfb-krafters-korner] a thought...

nancy yeager nancyyeager542 at verizon.net
Wed Aug 29 03:01:46 UTC 2012

Dear Jill,

I have been blind since birth with only the ability to see light and
shadows.  When my little girl was born (she's now 21) I noticed that her
pinky fingers were curved - just like mine and my mother's.  I said to my
Mom "I know she's mine - she has my fingers.  I felt like I suspect parents
feel when they see that their child has their nose, eyes or hair color.
After that, I noticed other things about my baby - for example, her ears
stuck out in the same way as her fathers.  These observations were all
marvels to me.  I thought, before she was born that, because I was blind, I
would not have the opportunity to observe those personal characteristics of
my baby that my sighted friends observed with their newborns.  As blind
moms, we may notice different things about our children than do our sighted
friends.  However, our observations are just as special.  You said your
child was 2.  Observe carefully the next time you wash Olivia's face.  I bet
you will find something special and worth remembering.