[Nfb-krafters-korner] beginning knitting

Deidre Muccio deimucc at verizon.net
Sun Dec 30 18:36:44 UTC 2012

Hello all
I just joined the list by recommendation of Dixie Sanderson. I also signed
up for the beginning knitting class.
	I've always loved beautiful cloth and natural fibers, though I just
rug hooked something with an acrylic chenille that draws in everyone who
sees it. The rug hooking is something I just learned how to do in the last
few months, and I'm going strong with it. I once could see and at the time
painted in watercolors and acrylic paint. The rug hooking is much like that,
I know the colors, use them and amaze everyone with the easy flow of colors
into one another. It works, much to my amazement.
	I have a neighbor who is a former tailor and painting contractor
(and much  more) but for the last many decades has also been teaching
embroidery, twined woven rug making, knits, and has rooms full of warps,
looms, needles, yarns, wool. She's turned into my cheerleader and supplier.
This afternoon, she gave me my first lesson in knitting with various types
and sizes of needles, including some very large wooden ones that I used a
scratchy wool rug yarn with - those thirteen's were very easy to handle, as
you would imagine. We started with the finer circular 8's 24 inch with the 4
ply stuff which was a challenge to get that needle under. I lost some
stitches when they dropped off and the circular needle got all tangled up.
Otherwise, I could do it, though not without a lot of effort and certainly
not rhythmically and quickly as she. I suppose that will take awhile. All
the same she said I learned much faster than her 6 and 7 year olds. That
surprised me. She mostly teaches adults, so working with children must have
been much earlier in her career as a fiber artist.'
	I just read my first post on this list by Kathy which referred to
something I know nothing about - Life line.
		I'm looking forward to hearing what people are doing with
their various crafts and art projects.

	Deidre in western Massachusetts