[Nfb-krafters-korner] St. Patty's Day

Heather Kirkwood hkdawn at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 6 23:35:23 UTC 2012

Sorry - Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome. It's a type of albinism that also involves a bleeding disorder. Some types also cause Crohn's disease and pulmonary fibrosis - an ultiimately fatal lung disease. The vision issues are due to the lack of pigment in eye development. Our conference tends to be a little different than say, an NFB conference, as we tend to focus more on medical issues. HPS is so very rare that our families can't even always rely on their local docs to know specifics about treatment etc. There are only a few docs in the world that really know much about it. The conference gives the families a chance to learn from them and meet with them to ask questions etc.

Sorry - hope that wasn't too off topic! Grin!

Heather Kirkwood
Director of Outreach, Vice President
Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome Network
One South Road
Oyster Bay, NY 11771
1 (800) 789-9HPS
www.hpsnetwork.org

Personal blog: www.heatherkirkwood.blogspot.com

Search the Web at www.goodsearch.com and choose the HPS Network as your charity!

HPS New York Conference - March 16-18, 2012